Grays Baptist Tabernacle (now known as Grays Baptist Church) was founded in 1884 when the Essex Baptist Association started meetings in Chapel Villa, London Road. An open communion church was formed in 1885, and an iron church was built in the same year in Dell Road. In 1894 the Tabernacle was built in Orsett Road. In 1936 there were 236 members. During the Second World War the church was wrecked by bombing, losing most of its records. From 1944, services were held in the Sunday school, which can be observed as a separate building to the rear of the main church building. The Tabernacle was reopened in 1948. In 1979 there were 119 members.
The Church has therefore been in existence for about 135 years and currently occupies premises built in 1893 together with an adjacent hall. It stands on a main road just outside Grays town centre.